A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

STBX has not returned acknowledgement of service

  • ANNE1234
  • ANNE1234's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
19 Sep 12 #356735 by ANNE1234
Topic started by ANNE1234
Help! Before heading off to Spain the divorce petition was received by my STBX. I thought he had returned the Acknowledgement of Service but it seems he hasn''t. What do I do? As the papers are in the house would it be proof enough to take a photograph of the petition? I don''t suppose if I showed the petition to my 10 year old that would be proof would it?

What do I have to do for deemed or substituted service which I have read about?

How much would it cost for a court process server to serve the papers again if it comes to that and the cost? He will be off back to wherever he came from again soon which is a problem.


  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Sep 12 #356937 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
The court bailiff can only serve if your ex in in the UK. If he is only going to be here for a short time, it mght be more cost effective to hire a private process server, as they are usually more flexible about when and where they can try to serve.

aking photos ofthe Petition or showing it to a third party wouldn''t prove anything.

If the baliff or process server is unable to serve, then you can apply for demed service - the Judge would have to be satisfied that your ex had seen the petition - so you have to priovide a statement with details of all the ways it has been sent to him, why it''s likely that that will have ensured he has seen it, or at least knows of its existance.

If he is not responding, you could try scanning the petition and e-mailing it to him with a ''read receipt'' request, for instance, sending it to him as a ''signed for'' document, as well as ensuring it has been sentto the adress you belive he is living at (either here or overseas)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.