A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Can I use this reason in Divorce proceedings?

  • ayeayecapn
  • ayeayecapn's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Sep 12 #357491 by ayeayecapn
Topic started by ayeayecapn

Looking at the reasons for divorce and having taken advice elsewhere on the forums it looks like Unreasonable Behaviour is my way forward.


Under the ''2 year separation by consent'' reason I wondered whether there was any flexibility/interpretation?

Namely, W&H have lived together but not as a married couple for that time? Since some ''big'' arguments over 2 years ago W&H have slept in separate rooms with no intimacy.

Wondered whether W&H could consent with one another that this was an agreed route and whether courts would accept it?

All help gratefully received, thank you.

  • Tets
  • Tets's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
23 Sep 12 #357498 by Tets
Reply from Tets
You can use 2 years separation even though you have lived under the same roof. During the 2 years you must not have lived together as husband and wife, you must not have shared domestic tasks, eaten together, cooked for one another or shared a bed.

  • ayeayecapn
  • ayeayecapn's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Sep 12 #357507 by ayeayecapn
Reply from ayeayecapn
I love this site. Thank you.

So helpful.

  • Serendipity100
  • Serendipity100's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
24 Sep 12 #357552 by Serendipity100
Reply from Serendipity100
OP, as Tets said, you will need to ensure there is no indication of marital life - do not even do his washing, or cook.... you do not say if there are children of the marriage, but if you and STBX are in agreement, I would suggest that 2 years sep is best basis, as opposed to UB which can be unpleasant for Resp to read and may cause animosity, esp if he is still living in same MH. Is there a formal Sep Agreement? Probably not. This can hold sway with the courts, though if your STBX is in full agreement, and you both just want to get a divorce, use 2 year sep grounds. But as Tets said, this does need to be based on complete seperation of marital life whilst living under same roof. You will need to post again re the financial side using S25 criteria.
Suggest you read up on here re previous posts. Hope this helps

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.