A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

contesting divorce after deemed service granted

  • mejulie82
  • mejulie82's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
24 Sep 12 #357682 by mejulie82
Topic started by mejulie82
I wondered if anyone could help - my partner filed for divorce under UB. His ex failed to reply, then said she had got solicitors involved however they failed to fax a letter after many chances so we proceeded to deemed service.

we finally managed to get deemed service - and now suddenly it has all been stopped due to the letter finally being sent to the court contesting the divorce on the grounds of not agreeing with the date of separation and the reasons.

My partner is due to see a solicitor on wednesday to seek further advice but i just wondered if anyone could tell us what happens now? Does my partner have to send a reply to her answer and then they have to try to come to a decision before it goes to a judge or will a judge get involved before hand?! In which case will they see this as a ridiculous reason to contest & throw it out or will this go to court if an agreement can not be met??

We are gobsmacked that she would bother to do this over dates and surprised that this is even allowed given that she failed to respond to the papers initially and we had got deemed service.

She simply wants the dates changed becuase she wishes to stay in the country. My partner and her never lived together - they were dating on and off and my partner married her to ''do the right thing'' at the time. She has evidence of a joint bank acct that she persuaded him to sign up for (that is now closed) but nothing else that could prove they ever lived together. He doesnt want to put later dates in case she tries to get any money from him and simply because the marriage was a sham in the first place. Obviously we just want this over with and the cheaper the better! Any advice as to what is likely to happen would be great, thank you. All i can find when searching is that any solicitor would prob advise ppl not to contest ... not hers sadly!!

P.S there are no children or financial disputes, simply dates and reasons for UB is her reason for contesting.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11