A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

where do I start?

  • dee_city
  • dee_city's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Oct 12 #358916 by dee_city
Topic started by dee_city
I have been separated for nearlly 5 years and thinking of divorce from a very money oriontated man that i was married to for nearlly 23 years, children are grown up. 3 years ago I walked away from the house with £5,000 (there wasn''t much equity in the property) I do want my share of his pensions which i know he will object to. I don''t have much money and need to do this as cheaply as possible but i don''t know what to do or where to start any help please

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Oct 12 #359049 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
If you have been married for such a long time you will certainly have a claim against his pension but from what you say he is not likely to hand it to you on a plate.

I''d say you need to divorce and apply for a financial order. Before doing this I''d take legal advice because I am no expert in pensions.

There are costs in splitting pensions, but you have to weigh the costs of a split against the situation if you have no pension at all. Some solicitors will give 30 minutes'' free advice, but it will need to be from a family law solicitor with experience in this field. Your average conveyancing solicitor will not be able to help.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.