A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

unreasonable behaviour

  • tiredandirritated
  • tiredandirritated's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
03 Oct 12 #359089 by tiredandirritated
Topic started by tiredandirritated
Hi all,
I have just received a copy of form D8from my stbx solicitor and she is divorcing me on grounds of unreasonable behaviour,her list of reasons are all made up lies and very hurtful.

My questions are:

Do I need to agree to her allegations or can I protest they be changed before this can proceed?

Does she need to substantiate her allegations?

Do these allegations have any bearing upon the divorce case as a whole?

Im so confused as to why she has made up these lies but any help with the above would be very much appreciated.

  • missguided
  • missguided's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
03 Oct 12 #359093 by missguided
Reply from missguided

When i petitioned my stbx he at first agreed with all my reasons when he received this form, however after going to solicitor then decided that he didnt! She had advised him not to?
Anyway, he has accepted the divorce (that our marriage has broken down) but not accepted the grounds. I think this happens quite a lot.

The courts dont normally take anything into account with the rest of the divorce unless it is very extreme.
She wont have to prove anything, it is just what she deems to be unreasonable and for everyone this is different.

It doesnt matter how well you thought you knew someone, you wont believe the lies etc that come into play into this situation. Sorry, not trying to depress you, just warn you!

Hope that helps?
Miss x

  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Oct 12 #359094 by Action
Reply from Action
I can understand that it must be very painful but you risk spending a lot of money if you start going to and fro with solcitors with this. It makes no difference to any financial settlement why the marriage has broken down (there may be extreme cases for violence or criminal activity).

I know it must be difficult but try to remember that the list of reasons will not go on public display, only you, your legal representatives and the court will see the list. I believe that you are entitled to merely state that you agree that the marriage has broken down and you agree to a divorce but that you do not agree with the UB reasons given - that way you are saying that they''re a load of rubbish but still get your divorce. This should avoid escalating the tension between you and your STBX at a very difficult time. She may have written the allegations in anger so if you can find it in you to make a calm and sensible response then you have not risen to the bait. Just be the better person and rise above it.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.