A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Decree Absolute

  • rawrs
  • rawrs's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Oct 12 #360183 by rawrs
Topic started by rawrs
Can anyone advise me if the Decree Absolute is issued after the six weeks or does it need to be applied for, if so at what point can this be done.
Can my solicitor apply for me or is there a form that can be sent to the courts?


  • sulkypants
  • sulkypants's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
10 Oct 12 #360184 by sulkypants
Reply from sulkypants
Have you drawn up a Consent Order yet? and had it accepted by the Court?

You would normally sort out finances before applying for your Decree Absolute.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Oct 12 #360186 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
It depends whether you are the Petitioner or the Respondent. If you are the Petitioner , application can be made after the six weeks have expired.

If you are the Respondent, generally the Absolute can be applied for three months after the earliest date on which the Petitioner could have applied.

There are rare cases where it may be advisable to delay applying for the absolute and it recommended you have a quick check with your solicitor if you have one on the case.

I note the previous post. It is not necessary to settle the finances before applying for the Absolute, but as I said, there may be reasons why delay could be sensible, which I why I recommend you check with your solicitor first.


  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
10 Oct 12 #360193 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
You would need to apply for the Conditional Order (Nisi) to be made Absolute. If you are the Petitioner then you would need to complete form D36, and you can apply once the 6 weeks and one day time frame has passed (but it is better to have your finances resolved first).

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.