A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

petition arrived from court, can I cross petition?

  • tiredandirritated
  • tiredandirritated's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
13 Oct 12 #360799 by tiredandirritated
Topic started by tiredandirritated
Hi all,
I received the divorce petition from the court today and its the same as the one my stbx sol sent and I disagreed with it all as it is full of lies, I asked that it be changed and also corrected as my stbx listed her 23yr old son on the D8 and he has not lived at the FMH in over 3 years.
It is on the grounds of my unreasonable behaviour and she also wants me to pay the costs.
I have since found out that the whole divorce appears to have been orchestrated and that she has been seeing another man, i dont have any proof of this being a sexual relationship but im sure it is, shall I just file a cross petition under her adultery or just sign the papers and leave it at that?

any help would be much appreciated as im so lost and alone and not sure whether to fight or just give in.

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
13 Oct 12 #360806 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Cross petitioning will only cost money.

Why not just put that you accept the marriage is over but disagree with the facts as stated and reserve the right to dispute them?

Unless you get an admission of adultery or can produce a child resulting from it or some very pornographic pictures you''re wasting your time and money. End result is the same at the end of the day anyway whoever petitions for the divorce.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.