A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

who pays

  • GETTING STRONGER NOW's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Oct 12 #361022 by GETTING STRONGER NOW
i have just received a letter (or rather my solicitor has) asking me to confirm that I will be issuing court proceeding to sort out finances!
I was willing to try mediation but as thuis failed for the children my stbx refuses this. At present financially although things are tight I am managing. Although I want to get an end to all this I do not see why i should start proceedings- my solicitor has told him as much.
Any advice on how long we can go without one of us forcing proceedings?

thanks in advance

  • WhiteRose
  • WhiteRose's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
15 Oct 12 #361029 by WhiteRose
Reply from WhiteRose
It can continue indefinitely.

However, the longer it goes on the longer it takes to detangle the split.

Its perfectly possible to self rep.

You can obtain the FM1 from the Mediators, complete and issue the Court Proceedings (Form A around £240) - each of you tend to pay your own costs.

Have a look here to see the process fully.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.