A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Time Bar- Limitation period in divorce matters

  • shahen75@yahoo.com
  • shahen75@yahoo.com's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Apr 20 #512175 by shahen75@yahoo.com
Topic started by shahen75@yahoo.com
is there any limitation period in Divorce matter? I mean can an application for Decree Nisi be barred for lapse of time, because the divorce petition was issued a long time ago and there was no activity for either side since then? Would that petition be struck out for non-activities, if it does after how long? My situation is: I am separated from my wife since 2009. she first applied for divorce in 2010 and the court issued a petition in 2010. The matter was then discontinued by her (discontinued means no activities took place since then). She again applied in 2015 and the family court issued a new petition in 2015. I did not bother to return the acknowledgement. This matter was not further pursued by the petitioner, hence discontinued. what would be the position of those petitions where my wife was the petitioner? would those petitions be struck out due to time bar? Can I apply to issue for a new divorce petition? PLEASE HELP.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Apr 20 #512177 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
If a second petition was issued, the first must have been dismissed or the court lost all the records and assumed that no first petition existed.

If there is record of the second petition, and it wasn't dismissed the petitioner can continue where they left off.

In some courts, due to lack of storage, they destroy records after a certain period and in the absence of any records a new petition will have to be issued. However, the computer system is likely to have a case number if nothing else which may complicate matters.

Rest assured, in the absence of any records, the Court Service will happily accept a court fee of £550 to issue a third petition if it helps matters along.


  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
25 Apr 20 #512216 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
If you now wish to petitbion and there is an existing petition from your wife that has not been progressed, you may need to check if it has to be formally dismissed before you can proceed.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11