A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice needed..

  • Lakeishamensa@yahoo.co.uk
  • Lakeishamensa@yahoo.co.uk's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Jun 20 #512876 by Lakeishamensa@yahoo.co.uk
Topic started by Lakeishamensa@yahoo.co.uk
Hello everyone, hope you all doing well and keeping safe. I am in a situation and needs any advice. I had a traditional customary marriage back in Africa, we then moved to the U.K. and are now British citizens. I filled for a divorce petition about a year ago and half way through the process my husband went to Africa to dissolve our traditional marriage without telling me. He then wrote to the court dealing with the divorce that the marriage had been dissolved.

I received an email from them asking me if this done why am I persueing with the divorce. Am guessing you probably know how I felt. I replied to them explaining the whole situation that I have no knowledge of such thing.

Anyway now the courts wants me to provide the order from Africa to prove that am divorce and fill in a form D11. My question is. Is it possible for them to accept that as a dissolution of my marriage as I read that since we both domiciled in the U.K. this is where everything has to be done. Sorry for such a long post but as so confused please can someone advise me as to how to reply to the courts. Thank you

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11