A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Can my Husband change the locks to our home.

  • Blondie73
  • Blondie73's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
25 Jul 20 #513425 by Blondie73
Topic started by Blondie73
Hi I've been married 5 years this September.My husband bought the house about 12years ago.When we got married he didn't put me on the morgage as he had a really good morgage deal.We used my £35,000 savings on building an extension,house renovations etc and I paid half the mortgage up to Dec'18 when I could no longer Iive with the domestic toxic abuse he inflects on me and moved back in with my Mum.Since then we have been living a strange existence off me being there half the time as this seems to work when he is behaving himself and not drinking .I no longer pay towards the morgage as I am having to pay my Mum some rent but I pay for all the food and other stuff when I stay at our maternal home. Most of my processions and furniture are still in the maternal home.
I've realised nothing is going to change with my Husband and I want a divorce.When I broached on the subject he went mad saying he was going to bring all my processions down and leave them in my Mums front garden and he was going to change the locks and not let me see our dog again or have her come to stay at my Mums.As nothing is in my name he has also said I have no power to do anything and I will not get the money back which I invested into the house as there are no receipts.However there is paper chain evidence looking at my bank statements.
I put my name on to The Deeds of the house a couple of years ago which he did not like at all and has tried to blackmail me to take it off.
Basically is it legal for him to change the locks and what powers do I have if he does?Would I be able to break back in?
Thank you for any advice in advance.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
25 Jul 20 #513432 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
In a short childless marriage, the rule of thumb is that you each take out what you put in. Did you live together for any period of time before you married??
If one party leaves a property it is usual for the one who remains living there to pay the costs of doing so. You say your name is on the deeds, is there also a joint mortgage?
If the property is in joint names you each have an equal right to live there but yiu do also have to bear your personal safety in mind. He should not change the locks and if he does you should be provided with a key. He does have a right to privacy. If you aren't living there you should only go there by arrangement.
If you are planning to divorce you can get the ball rolling and make a start on negotiating a financial settlement. If he wont engage, you have the option to ask the court to help you to sort things out.
I would suggest you get advice on how to proceed. We have a range of low cost services you may find useful. Look at the services tab or give the help line a call.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11