A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Waiting for first contact from his solicitor

  • AnonMum
  • AnonMum's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 Jul 20 #513480 by AnonMum
Topic started by AnonMum
I was advised on Friday my husband has a solicitor and that I should I expect contact from them (he said yesterday).
How long will I need to wait for the first contact?
I have been subjected to emotional abuse for years and I am
Seriously worried about the mind games and lies that will be part of this process.
House is mortgaged 60k. 9 years left joint names. Resale value 90k.
6 children aged between 4 and 15. Child support payments calculator suggests £900 per month.
I am full time house wife minimal just set up as self
I have just signed up for universal credits.
What would be fair way to split Finances. He has hidden debts that I don’t know about.
We were married 18 years

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
28 Jul 20 #513483 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Are you sure he has appointed a solicitor and it isn't just more mind games?

He may have just gone for a free half hour consultation.

You need to post details of all assets and incomes for someone to comment on a financial split but the priority will be housing the children.

If there is only £30k equity in the house it makes sense for you to remain there if you can afford to.

  • AnonMum
  • AnonMum's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Jul 20 #513487 by AnonMum
Reply from AnonMum
He has family working in a solicitors specialising in family law and rebate. So I doubt he would confirm in writing that he has instructed a solicitor if he hasn’t. However, he would twist when I could expect the contact to prolong my anxiety.

The asserts are the house (90k value 60k mortgage) one mpv van (4K) in his name, his motorbike (2k). I have the £300 car and maybe £600 sewing machines. He earned 60k for the last two years. Has pension. He also has debts. I don’t know how much as he has several credit cards that he has hidden from me. And a bank loan.

  • solvethis84
  • solvethis84's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
29 Jul 20 #513489 by solvethis84
Reply from solvethis84
Has he made any indication of how he wants to settle? Perhaps his solicitor may outline this when contact eventually comes, it's not unusual for letters and contact from solicitors to take longer to finalise than expected. Give it another week, then maybe write to him.

With 6 children, I can't see any solution other you staying in the house. Looks like his pension could be the biggest asset, but the house the most important one from your point of view.

Has he moved out of the property? Can you afford the mortgage payments with CMS and universal credit income?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11