A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Coercive control/domestic abuse

  • Starshine74
  • Starshine74's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
11 Aug 20 #513634 by Starshine74
Topic started by Starshine74
Hi at the end of this month I will have been married for 16 years.

My ex has been verbally and physically abusive he has also not allowed me to work, even though all the money went into my account still controlled the spending.

I have never reported him to the police.

Housing association is aware of the situation and that I have left.

Do I need to report to the police to divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour?
I have emails and messages showing his verbal and financial abuse.

I applied for legal aid, do I send the reference they gave me in with the forms?

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
11 Aug 20 #513638 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Welcome to Wikivorce but sorry you find yourself here. You don't have to report this to police to divorce on UB grounds. There is a very specific way to write UB grounds. Have a quick search of the site for help.
You should though speak to the police about this behaviour if you feel able to do so. Coercive control is illegal. It may also help any financial claim if conduct needs to be considered. It will also help you obtain legal aid whi h is only available to people who have suffered dv and have low income/few assets.
If you are on a low income you can apply for fee remission in addition to legal aid. This will help with court fees.


  • Starshine74
  • Starshine74's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Aug 20 #513744 by Starshine74
Reply from Starshine74
Do I need to pay the fees first? I have the references for the fee remission do I put that in with the papers?
I sat with the police today and they have raised it so I have a crime number incase he continues to try to contact me

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11