A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Decree Nisi

  • Hellosarah123
  • Hellosarah123's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 Sep 20 #514159 by Hellosarah123
Topic started by Hellosarah123

I've just divorced online on the gov website with my husband(ex). Once that's done please could anyone tell me if there is a next step or we have to do anything? And is the Decree Nisi issued from the courts/judge?
Kind Regards

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
22 Sep 20 - 22 Sep 20 #514171 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Filling in the online petition is just step one.

Next step is for the Respondent to complete the acknowledgement of service, then you need to apply for the Decree Nisi.

The petitioner can apply for Decree Absolute six weeks and one day after the Decree Nisi. The Respondent can apply after a further 3 months.

It is a good idea to get the financial settlement sorted out before Decree Absolute. You can get a legally binding financial settlement once you have a Decree Nisi in place.

Last edit: 22 Sep 20 by hadenoughnow.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11