A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Help married abroad 13yrs ago

  • Dixietricks
  • Dixietricks's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
25 Sep 20 #514202 by Dixietricks
Topic started by Dixietricks
Hi, I got married in whirlwind 13yrs ago in Las Vegas, to an american. 3mths later I got ditched and never saw him again, I came back to the uk.
I dont know where to start to get divorced and I am engaged to my fiance of 6yrs..
I cant get hold of the american. Any advice would be grateful

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Sep 20 #514211 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
You would need to take steps to trace your ex so that you can serve divorce papers on him. I'd suggest that you contact The Law Society
who may be able to suggest solicitors who have practical experience of this kind of problem. It's called substituted service. If all else fails, and you know where your ex is, it may be possible for you to apply for what is known as substituted service,


  • Dixietricks
  • Dixietricks's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
26 Sep 20 #514218 by Dixietricks
Reply from Dixietricks
Thank you,
Yeah I've tried writing to the only address I know. Nothing ever comes back. I will ask a solicitor, I hope theres something that can be done and not too expensive.

Thank you

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11