A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

NEW to this, but could do with advice on divorce

  • CLJ21
  • CLJ21's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Mar 21 #516063 by CLJ21
Topic started by CLJ21
Hi All,

I've been in a long term relationship since the age of 17. Married coming up 6 years this August, together for 16 years, lived together for 8 years. We have a 2.5 yr old son - cut a long story short, husband earns monthly, own 2 properities, one is the matrimonial home, has savings and a business.

I on the other hand am a stay at home mum, with nothing, fully reliant on my husband. Vulnerable place to be yes, I honestly don't know what has happened over the years, only that I have let myself go and not focussed on my own delevopment or self/career/finances at all.

Husband has always been controlling, we have had our ups and downs but I now want to leave, after being on the fence for many years. I want him to help bring up our son as I feel this is important for us all, especially our boy.

I don't know where to start and can't speak on the phone - i'd just like a rough run down of what I would need to do to put things in place.

If anyone could help - where would I go? Do I tell him now or wait? Do I seek a lawyer now? What would I be entitled to?

I have very little support, moved to the middle of nowhere and not much family. I would like to be aware of my options, I feel very lost without knowing what they are.

Thank very much in advance.

  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
26 Mar 21 - 26 Mar 21 #516229 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
The large slice of good news for you is that due to the long relationship, and having a young child, you will be entitled to a fair share of the combined set of assets (including those held in just his name).

I would recommend that you look at our service that provides an expert to answer all your questions about your entitlements and takes you through the necessary steps to make a claim - without the expense of using a solicitor.
Last edit: 26 Mar 21 by wikivorce team.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.