A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Final hearing Decree Absolute

  • Fransfriends
  • Fransfriends's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
07 Apr 21 #516416 by Fransfriends
Topic started by Fransfriends
Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask what happens after the judge makes the decision at the end of the final hearing? I am then legally divorced or do I also have to apply for a Decree Absolute?
so basically does the judge award the decree absolute there and then or is it something else I have to apply for after the FH?
many thanks

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
07 Apr 21 #516425 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
I'm assuming the final hearing is for financial remedy? If so, then the decision about the financial settlement will be final, but you will still need to apply for Decree Absolute (or your spouse if they are the petitioner); it is not granted automatically at the end of a final hearing, as the financial remedy process is separate from the divorce process.

  • Fransfriends
  • Fransfriends's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
07 Apr 21 #516426 by Fransfriends
Reply from Fransfriends
Thank you so much, that is very helpful ?

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
09 Apr 21 #516441 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
You usually have to apply for the Decree Absolute separately. Very occasionally, if there is an application before the court, a judge will sign it off there and then.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.