A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

The ultimate nightmare?

  • CAPSLOCK's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
05 Jun 21 #516892 by CAPSLOCK
Topic started by CAPSLOCK
Hello all and hope you're keeping well in these strange times.

I petitioned for divorce over 12 months ago,and finally received a response. The respondent is contesting and doing all she can to delay things.

I married her in Ukraine in 2016,and after two years finally managed to get her a spouse visa to come to the UK,which was very expensive. Three weeks after she arrived,she made a false allegation of domestic violence against me-a common ruse to circumvent UK visa laws and get free housing,benefits and legal aid. She also gets full immigration rights.

We only lived together in the UK 3 weeks-no joint finances,and she contributed zero to anything at any point.
She disappeared over 2 years ago now,but uses a forwarding address in the UK for correspondence. I have no idea where she is,but she clearly used me for a visa.

I have a pension and own property;will the facts of these circumstances be taken into account,including no joint financial commitments,her furtive and obviously dishonest behaviour and the fact we only lived together 3 weeks here?

The allegation was unfounded and I left the property voluntarily;I knew what she was doing. No charges against me,and I didn't go back or anywhere near her after that.

Any opinions on what she can get from me will be appreciated: she gets all her legal fees paid because she came here and claimed dv against me.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
06 Jun 21 #516898 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
In a very short marriage with no children, the usual rule of thumb is that you each take out what you put in. Is is usually recommended that rather than giving money to lawyers, a small sum is offered - usually enough to cover say deposit and a few months rent.

Your matter may be complicated by questions surrounding immigration, rights to claim benefits and any guarantees you may have given etc. I dont think there would be any substantial claim unless of course there is a child /children involved.

I am afraid you may be right about this being a ruse to obtain entry to the UK.


  • worstnightmare
  • worstnightmare's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Jul 21 #517292 by worstnightmare
Reply from worstnightmare
Speak to the police explain it all to them, ensure you speak with someone from safeguarding - this is a must as most officers don't get that training. You can make an official statement or just let them have your record of things so if anything happens they can see that you have already informed them. Take someone with you if you go the house, and record everything from the moment you put the key in the door till you leave.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11