A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Advice wanted

  • Thedv8
  • Thedv8's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Jun 21 #517028 by Thedv8
Topic started by Thedv8
Hi all,

I am seeking some advice about my current situation, at the moment myself and my wife are separated and have been so since December last year. Our intention is to get a divorce ideally for me it would be under the grounds of unreasonable behaviour from her side for the following reasons;

lack of intimacy - had not made love in 2.5 years neither of us cheated

she describes her sexuality as asexual and will likely say that I knew this when we got together although I do not believe this to be the case I cannot be certain.

can I divorce her on the grounds above? How would the process work and how much would it cost.

thank you.

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
22 Jun 21 #517056 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
You couldn't use her sexuality as a sole reason for divorce, but you could use lack of intimacy as one of the 5 or 6 examples of (unreasonable) behaviour for a petition. As you haven't been separated for 2 years or more, then you can't use separation as your reason for divorce, it would need to be behaviour - unless you are both willing to wait to be separated for 2 full years, and then use that - essentially it would be a no-fault divorce.

The new divorce laws are due to introduced in April next year - these do away with the need to blame one party for the breakdown, and introduce no-fault divorce without a lengthy waiting period. You could wait until these are in place if you didn't want to use behaviour.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11