A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Change locks

  • ellablue
  • ellablue's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Jul 21 #517341 by ellablue
Topic started by ellablue
Can my husband 38 years lock me out of the house ? The house is in his name. ,

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
29 Jul 21 - 29 Jul 21 #517343 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
No he can't - not without an appropriate court order that prevents you from using the family home. You have as much right as he does to live in your home.

As the house is in his name only, you need to register your home rights on the property, this will protect your interest in the property and your right to occupy, and prevent him from selling the house from underneath you. You can find find the form here - www.gov.uk/government/publications/notic...hts-registration-hr1

If he has locked you out, I suggest you contact your local police and ask them to attend while you "break into" your home if your spouse refuses to give you a key.
Last edit: 29 Jul 21 by rubytuesday.

  • Josiejones
  • Josiejones's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
01 Aug 21 #517352 by Josiejones
Reply from Josiejones
Hi ellablue I have recently found myself in this position. Police refused to get involved as it was a civil matter. Whilst I knew I could "break in" every time I approached the property he would shout through the letter box that he was phoning the police, and then installed cctv. A solicitor wrote to him asking for a key....ignored. The only option left to me was an occupation order through the family court which in total cost about 1500. This was after a 21 year relationship and joint ownership of the home. Just wanted to share my practical experience of how this was resolved. Wishing you good luck

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11