A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Utility bills

  • Sharon1234
  • Sharon1234's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Oct 21 #517836 by Sharon1234
Topic started by Sharon1234
Please could you advise me on the following:
We have gone through mediation. Divorce is in progress.
Utility Bills. IE Morgage, Phone Bills, council tax etc comes out of our central account. Husband initially agreed to pay 70% of all bills and I would pay 30% due to difference in wages. This has worked well until he says he will only pay 50% and I would have to pay the remaining 50%. It was agreed verbally so I have not got anything in writing. Can he do this. We have 2 dependent children and he currently does not pay for their upkeep. IE food or keep. Do I have to make up the difference? Advise would be welcome. We are currently living together until the sale of the house. Many Thanks

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
09 Oct 21 #517871 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Hmm. It may be worth exploring whether you can claim child maintenance if you are separated but living in the same house.
Have a look at the CMS calculator for a guide as to what he should pay or maybe call their advice line?

Have you reached a financial settlement?

What is the plan for child arrangements after the house is sold??


  • Sharon1234
  • Sharon1234's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
09 Oct 21 #517874 by Sharon1234
Reply from Sharon1234
Ok Thank you. I will check that out.
He wants a Clean Break. The children will live with each of us as and when they want to. They are 17 and 15 so able to make their own decisions in that area. Not sure how it will work out in reality but still.
We have reached a financial settlement. We have agreed to a 60/40% split in my favour. However, the house isn't selling so he keeps pushing me to reduce the price of the house which will have a huge impact on what I will be able to afford. Awaiting the Consent Order to come through.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11