A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Sale of house, hopefully

  • CarolB_1958
  • CarolB_1958's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
04 Jul 12 #340981 by CarolB_1958
Topic started by CarolB_1958

I posted some months ago, but will give a brief outline of the past before asking my question.

Husband decided Feb 11 did not want me anymore. We have a 16 year old daughter. He moved out July to be with the love of his life. Moved back into FMH in December. I have suggested selling numerous times he was never keen, stating it won''t sell. Things have been amicable between us.

Well last night he went off on one and stormed off to his roon, came down two hours later saying I must put the house on the market for £150,000 if sold by end of July - he will not be paying into the house after this month.

Great I can happily put house on the market, but need to go higher than he said. Paid £200,000 in June 2010, have equity of over £90,000 if we sell for what we paid.

My question is what happens if he stops paying his half of the mortgage - I cannot afford it all. Obviously I will need to advise the bank of the situation.

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jul 12 #340986 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
Talk to the bank and ask if you can pay interest only in the short term. Apply for Ancillary Relief if you haven''t done so already so that you start getting the finances settled.

Until you have an agreement about the finances and who will get what you shouldn''t sell the house if you can avoid it. If you do, you should both move into rented accommodation and lodge the equity with a solicitor until the shares have been determined.

If you do sell the house, what does he envisage will happen to you and your daughter? Does he want to make her homeless?

It''s also worth pointing out that he is jointly liable for the mortgage payments so if you end up defaulting it will affect his credit rating as well as yours.

It''s probably worth waiting to see whether he thinks differently once he''s calmed down before taking any action. The chances of your selling the house by the end of July, even at a vastly reduced price, are pretty low, I''d have thought.

Best wishes,

  • hawaythelads
  • hawaythelads's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
04 Jul 12 #340989 by hawaythelads
Reply from hawaythelads
Hi carol
Have you applied for all your tax credits you are entitled to?

All the best
Pete x

  • CarolB_1958
  • CarolB_1958's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
05 Jul 12 #341252 by CarolB_1958
Reply from CarolB_1958
Hi Sadie

He came in last night went straight to his room and haven''t seen him since. Daughter left him a note apologising for upsetting him, tried to talk to him he didnt want to know - I feel for her. It doesnt bother me him keeping out of the way but I do think he needs to stop sulking and think about his daughter. He has sulked for a couple of days before - that was when I cared and made an effort to speak to him. He went off on one the day before he and daughter were due to go on holiday in March - she was devistated - she is much better this time thank goodness. He could end up loosing his daughter if he carries on!.

Anyway I have someone coming to value the house on Tuesday - will tell him if/when he decides to speak. No way would the house sell that quickly - he mjust be in cloud cuckoo land. If he stops paying then he has to move out and I will look to taking in a lodger if the house does not look like it will sell.

I do not know about Ancillary Relief - need to read up on this - thanks for the advise.

Need to get the divorce started I think!!!


Because of the way we have been sharing the house since his return getting tax credits would have been difficult - if he moves out then I would apply again.



  • sim5355
  • sim5355's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Jul 12 #341261 by sim5355
Reply from sim5355
hi! carol if you are seperated you can still apply for tax credits even if he lives in the house.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11