A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Holidaying with child of opposite gender

  • starless
  • starless's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Aug 12 #348997 by starless
Topic started by starless
Hi, not quite sure which forum this belongs to...

I''m a divorced dad with a 9yo daughter, and on our holidays together we usually share a twin room. When would you stop sharing a room? Is there a legal limit?

I grew up in a council flat sharing a room with my elder sister, and we were re-housed by the council when she hit 10. I don''t know if that was a legal requirement or just that council''s policy.

My daughter''ll be 10 next year but I''m not sure she''s ready to have a hotel room on her own! (She doesn''t like the idea.)

I''d be interested to hear what others in similar situations have done.


  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Aug 12 #349001 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
I would not be happy with my son or daughter being in a separate hotel room at that age, and nor would they.

There is no legal age where you can no longer share a room with your child. Look at all the families that go camping! Family rooms are just that for families:)

  • jslgb
  • jslgb's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Aug 12 #349052 by jslgb
Reply from jslgb
I dont think there would be an age limit on parents sharing with their children. Obvioulsy as a grown up a parent is respectful of their childs space and need for privacy and can still execute this whilst sharing a room.

I defintitely agree that her own hotel room wouldnt be appropriate. Maybe as she becomes older you can consider an adjoining room with direct access to yours but i wouldnt consider that for a while yet!

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Aug 12 #349073 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
I also agree that a separate hotel room isn''t appropriate.

I still share family rooms with my two sons aged 17 and 14 when on holiday and a couple of years ago even had to share a bed with the younger one when the hotel mucked up our booking. Not particularly fun for either of us but I think it''s OK.

Best wishes,

  • starless
  • starless's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
13 Aug 12 #349299 by starless
Reply from starless
Hi, thanks for the replies. That makes a lot of sense. I think I can trust my daughter to let me know when she needs more privacy (I remember letting my mum know when I wanted to bathe myself!).

I was fearing I''d be damned either way by her mum although things are generally OK now... and if I am damned either way I just need to do what I think is appropriate! I''ve just updated my profile as I was "just thinking about divorce" when I first posted here!

Thanks again!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.