A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • Flowers2012
  • Flowers2012's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
02 Sep 12 #353420 by Flowers2012
Topic started by Flowers2012
My husband left me 6 weeks ago and is starting to take items from the home, should I be letting him do this?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Sep 12 #353444 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
What sort of items is he taking? There is no reason why he can''t take personal possessions and agreement can''t be negotiated about sharing household items. If he is taking items without agreement you could consider changing the locks so that access has to be mutually agreed.

  • Flowers2012
  • Flowers2012's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
02 Sep 12 #353453 by Flowers2012
Reply from Flowers2012

He has taken the playstation and some DVDs, which is ok but he said that he was going to leave that for the boys, but he has now changed his mind and wants it in the new place for the boys to play there when they see him at weekends, which I suppose is ok, but as long as he is not going to start taking items that we need each time he comes here.

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Sep 12 #353496 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
Be careful, my ex emptied the garage one afternoon when I was out! Take all precautions to prevent him entering. I did not change locks but found other ways e.g chaining and bolting front door and leaving through another door as I knew he didn''t have that key and disabling garage doors from inside.

It sounds like he has taken the kids toys (or was that toy his???) that''s not fair on the children and it sounds like you are unlikely to be able to afford to replace. You need to be a step a head once things go you are unlikely to get them back!!

  • Bobbinalong
  • Bobbinalong's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Sep 12 #353498 by Bobbinalong
Reply from Bobbinalong
to be honest the more you try to communicate about this the better.
It is pretty pointless starting a battle for most of this stuff, unless its worth more than £500 not worth fighting anyhow.
It can get petty, but all the stuff will change etc.
I would say, without knowing your background, as long as you have stuff you ''need'' like a washer and a cooker and a bed, thats the main thing, everything else will change.
If he took the playstation, get a wii or a xbox...

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.