A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Access to Lodgers room

  • Spookcake
  • Spookcake's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Aug 08 #40923 by Spookcake
Topic started by Spookcake
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information:
I am a lodger in a property that is currently part of a divorce, and was wondering if the husband who has moved out has any right to enter my room without prior consent?
I am just asking this as the husband let himself in today to search for his belongings! and I was worried that he would go through my things.Should I put a lock on my door as I understand that he is allowed access to the house but just trying to find out the legalaity of him entering my room.

  • Zara2009
  • Zara2009's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Aug 08 #40952 by Zara2009
Reply from Zara2009
Hi spookcake
Not completely sure on this but, I think it would all depend on whether or not you have a tenancy agreement. Normally a Landlord would have to give 24 hours notice of inspection, visit, unless it is an emergency. As it is in the same house, not sure if this applies. If this is a casual arrangement, I do not think that he would need to consult you on entering your room. I take it that your room does not lock.
Perhaps you could take anything that belongs to him and put in a bag with a label on and leave it somewhere noticeable.
You might get more detailed advice later on. Additionaly, anything that is private or valuable you could make other provisions than leave in your room.
Hope this helps.


  • downbutnotout
  • downbutnotout's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 08 #40953 by downbutnotout
Reply from downbutnotout
I would have thought that the most practical solution would be to put a lock on the door (with the permission of your landlady of course) and to ensure that none of his possessions are stored in your room.

  • kidsinbulgaria
  • kidsinbulgaria's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
17 Aug 08 #40974 by kidsinbulgaria
Reply from kidsinbulgaria
Hi Spookcake,

Shelter are the people to speak to for free advice on 0808 800 4444. They don't just deal with homelessness but all aspects of landlord / tenants responsibilites. You don't have to have a tenancy agreement to have some basic rights.

Here is a link for reference:-


Good luck

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11