A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Did I say wahay?

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Nov 13 #412883 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Not to be too pedantic but not all waste water goes into the stack. The toilet does and the washing machine should but sinks, showers and dishwashers to flow to the drain.

If the toilet is the problem, it is usually the bend that has a blockage. As Marshy suggests, a hand will sort you out or you can use a long flexible item to push around the bend. It is possibly to buy an unblocker which is a long spring that you push through through the piping to dislodge whatever ''mass'' is causing the blockage.


  • elizadoolittle
  • elizadoolittle's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Nov 13 #412885 by elizadoolittle
Reply from elizadoolittle

Come to think of it both the loo and the kitchen sink have for some days been making gurgling noises which I suppose means there''s an airlock or something. I have tried using a plunger which makes a sarisfying noise etc but changes nothing. I have not bought an augur(?) - given my mortgage is in arrears not to mention other bills I am not spending a sinle penny if I can help it. Preserving what I can while my stbx runs up further debts....

  • pixy
  • pixy's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Nov 13 #412888 by pixy
Reply from pixy
Have you checked the outside drains? Is the water in them draining away properly?

It presumably doesn''t apply to your household but baby wipes are a notorious cause of blocked loos.

  • ljdh
  • ljdh's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Nov 13 #412891 by ljdh
Reply from ljdh
uh-oh Is major gurgling from the kitchen sink a Bad Sign? Because mine makes a huge noise whenever the washing machine is draining.:(

  • Marshy_
  • Marshy_'s Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Nov 13 #412893 by Marshy_
Reply from Marshy_
What pixy says is right. If nothing is draining away then you have a problem outside. But all is not lost.

Have a look at the house on the same side that the stack resides. The same side as all the soil services. Like sinks, toilets etc. These big pipes dont run very far. There will be a manhole. Usually one ever two houses. Its the big rectangular thing in the garden or in the street. Perhaps not outside your house. But find it. If its in your garden, its yours. But this is what you need to do.

Go and lift it up. A big screwdriver is the best for this. And then empty the bath. And watch the flow. You should see a high flow of water. If you dont, then you will need someone with a rod. But a word to the wise. If you use a rod, never turn it anti clockwise when its extended. Always clockwise. Loosing it down a soil pipe is not a good plan. C.

  • sturmer
  • sturmer's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
08 Nov 13 #412954 by sturmer
Reply from sturmer
Continuing the wikivorce home maintenance thread, is the toilet on the ground floor. A slow blockage in a sewer is rarely caused by the toilet but usually the kitchen sink and an accumulation of fatty deposits or a worse case scenario tree roots entering the sewer. If it is a ground floor toilet threading a hosepipe as far down as you can and running hot water through it may help.

  • polar
  • polar's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Nov 13 #412960 by polar
Reply from polar
Legal point.
The house owner is legally responsible for stack pipe and run down to the communal sewer
which is usually about 10 feet or so in the garden.
An example.
I recently had a house where sewage was coming up a rodding hole (6 inch disk) situated under the kitchen window. (tenant for some reason had removed this ????)

The house was the lowest on a slightly stepped terrace. The communal sewer ran down the centre of each garden until it reached the street. There was no manhole and so it is assumed that the rodding hole would allow poking until it met the communal sewer.

The sewer had blocked further down outside the gardens in the street. The result was that sewage backed up and escaped through the rodding hole with no lid.
In some ways the tenant was lucky because the sewage would have built up on the slope and eventually come out of the kitchen sink.

The tenant was screaming at me but we found no block in the system up to the communal run. The problem had to be further down the communal run into the main sewer.

Water boards are responsible for the main sewers. They are also responsible for communal runs .Diagrams for what they are responsible for are often posted on their websites. Anglian water has one.

In our case it took 4 attempts on separate days to eventually clear everything.

So if you are sure that it is not your toilet....sure that water runs freely to the communal sewer (often the manhole just outside the property) then call the high pressure jetting crew from the water board.

There is the possibility that it could be tree roots and not debris blocking the communal sewer. A camera sent down will check this. So the rule is dont build a shed or pond over the communal sewer as your garden will be vandalised with replacement pipe installation.

On another note !! When adding internal soil pipes to my house using internal connections to a soil pipe which had served a basin sink it was discovered that a brick had been left in the pipe from the original construction !!!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11