A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Family car

  • Chatsworth
  • Chatsworth's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Aug 08 #42637 by Chatsworth
Topic started by Chatsworth
Am worrying myself into a real state with the following and hope someone out there can help.

Background is - me divorcing stbx as he committed adultery with my best friend. Married 30yrs. Have got nisi and very soon have first appointment FDR. form E's exchanged. Stbx living with xbf in rented accomm. and me still in FH.

Problem is family car bought 7 yrs ago from joint account but used 99% of time by me only as he has always owned high powered bike (also bought from joint account). Car insurance is due just after 1st appointment and is in his name as Registered Keeper and legal owner but with me as second named driver. I have never had my own car or insurance on a vehicle in 27 years of driving. Stbx said he will not re-inusre car as he wants it sold (I am willing to pay annual premium). This will leave me with no vehicle to get to work. The car is worth £5.5k (I have checked this) on second hand market but he has said on his form E it is £8k. This car is worth more to me than half the money it would get by selling as it has low mileage as I have only driven fairly local in it and the engine and body work and still good where as any other car I buy for say £2.5k is likely to have high mileage and need work doing.

I understand he cannot force me to sell car as I cannot force him to sell bike just yet but this leaves me with a car on the drive and not being able to get to work.

Sorry to ramble on but am tying myself in knots - have asked sol but she says this is minor issue!

Can anyone tell me if I call insurance people will they take payment from me or as stbx is not living here is current insurance already invalid?

Help, anyone, please?:(

  • NellNoRegrets
  • NellNoRegrets's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Aug 08 #42675 by NellNoRegrets
Reply from NellNoRegrets
I can't help but suggest you ring insurers to see what is what. Also, it may be a minor issue to your sol, but its a lifeline for you, so you do need it sorting.

Wish I could be more help.

  • marriaa
  • marriaa's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Aug 08 #42677 by marriaa
Reply from marriaa
Hi .
you can just take new inssurrrance in your own name.Tesco on line will give you a quote.should not be that expensive.
good luck

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11