A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Moving out of the FMH - what to do?

  • FiveMilesHigh
  • FiveMilesHigh's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
03 Nov 15 #468970 by FiveMilesHigh
Topic started by FiveMilesHigh

Its been since March that my wife has told me she wants to divorce me. Its been very tough living with her and the kids. Its the kids that make it worth while. She is going to remortgage the house in her name and we will have a Financial Order made that requires her to sell the house when my youngest reaches the age of 18 years or she co-habits with someone. So in 5 years time or less I will get a small windfall of around £200,000.

Right now the Order is close to being signed and agreed and although she has said I can stay as long as necessary to allow me to find somewhere to live, I do wish to move out after Christmas.

My question is this; having only rented a place when I was in Germany many years ago in my early 20''s, and having been a mortgage payer since 1979 (when my wife and I first got together and began servicing a mortgage), I now find myself in the rental market for the first time. Its all new and I''m wondering if I should advertise for something (I really need a furnished place, 2 beds if I can get it) or go to a letting agency. I have heard all sorts of stories about the problems of not getting your money (deposit) back and being ripped off by agents and landlords. But I''m going to need to find a furnished 2 bedroom place in the Crawley/Horsham area of Sussex for around £800-£900 a month. I have looked for forums such as this to see if there is one specially for people looking to rent but have found nothing. What do I need for references? I have been employed full time for many years, no Police problems and I''m wondering if members here can throw some light on what they did, how they found a place for them and what they needed to show/pay etc. I''m out of my comfort zone on this - but I will settle when I find somewhere that I can afford and where I can grieve over whats happened and then begin to heal myself. Two bedrooms would be good so I can have the kids visit and stay now and then. Any comments or help on the best way for me to do this would be most welcomed. Thank you - L

  • New horizons
  • New horizons's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Nov 15 #469156 by New horizons
Reply from New horizons
Hi L,

I''m staying with relatives ATM.
From what I know of the rental market, you''ll need to prove your residence via the electoral register. They''ll look for a good credit record and the fact you''ve not defaulted on your mortgage will prove this.
Many have divorced before so don''t be too daunted by the idea of references. Generally, if you have clear credit ,a traceable provenience and cash, that''s all really they''re looking for.

Good luck with your new adventure! ( this is how I''m looking at it to cope a little better ) :side:

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11