A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Gap Between My Cooker & Worktop

  • DavidDublin
  • DavidDublin's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Apr 16 #477119 by DavidDublin
Topic started by DavidDublin

Random first post, but glad to be here and hopefully this is the correct section to post in.

I seem to have a problem. I have a 5cm gap at both sides between my cooker and my worktop. Every now and then when I am preparing meals a piece of food will make a break for it and get stuck down there until I decide to pull the thing out to clean it. This doesn''t happen a lot but it happens often enough to make me want to do something about it.

I was wondering if any of you have been in the same situation and what you did to remedy it?

Note: Please don''t suggest buying a new cooker, or a new house haha, I posted this on another forum and that is the only answer I got.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
19 Apr 16 #477120 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Welcome to Wikivorce.

Not a question I have ever seen on this forum before!

There should be a gap of minimum 20mm between the appliance and the edge of the worktop to allow for expansion, cooling air circulation and extracting/installing the cooker.

You could try using larger saucepans and being more careful when stirring your food so that there is less opportunity for the food to "escape"....it''s good housekeeping to pull the cooker out and clean the floor thoroughly around and behind the appliance (as well as the sides of the appliance itself) so that you don''t end up with mold/grime/grease build-up.

You could try using silicone gap covers as a remedial measure, but it won''t remove the need to clean the area from time to time completely.

  • stukadivebomber
  • stukadivebomber's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Apr 16 #477122 by stukadivebomber
Reply from stukadivebomber
Don''t the cobwebs catch everything?
Mine seem to B)

5cm is quite a gap.
How about a length of cardboard; folded into a ''V'', and held in position with a few lumps of blu-tac.

  • Lostboy67
  • Lostboy67's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
19 Apr 16 #477130 by Lostboy67
Reply from Lostboy67
Welcome to wiki, and congratulations on the most ''random'' question I''ve ever seen, and I include the squirrels in the attic in that :-)
5cm either side is 10cm in total (see I am good at maths). That is a huge gap. Free-standing cookers tend to come in standard widths, 60cm is the most common followed by 50cm and 55cm. It sounds like you have a 50cm cooker in a 60cm gap. Usually there is a small gap either side, 1cm maybe 2cm. the only solution I can think of is to get a small strip of working top and glue it to one side (or two thinner strips on each side) it would probably need some bracing. You could use some regular wood which would be a lower cost alternative. Its going to look a bit of a mess TBH.
Ultimately getting a cooker that fits the gap properly is going to be the best solution, have you considered things like freecycle to source a replacement ?


  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Apr 16 #477148 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
There is a product called ''Smith''s Silicone Stove Counter Gap Covers - 2 Pack'' which you can search for on ebay or Amazon.

Personally, I would move the cooker over and try to fit a 10cm filler piece. Measure the gap, cut a piece of wood/work surface, fix a right angle bracket to the new piece, move the cooker out, screw the bracket to the existing work surface and put the cooker back in place.

If you have a popular work surface, take a picture, pop along to a kitchen supplier and see if they have any off cuts to match.


  • polar
  • polar's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Apr 16 #477151 by polar
Reply from polar
I agree with Ruby and Charles. One of the problems is when the worktops are not fitted square. The gap changes from 10 to 9 cm.
As said I would pop a fillet of wood each side and raise it up slightly above worktop level. Its not always food from the cooker but food /drips that go down when you wipe the surface because worktops are rarely level.
My problem is fridge and dishwasher sticking out slightly because worktops are 60cm deep but the appliance manufacturers seem to make the appliance 61 or 63 cm deep.

  • afonleas
  • afonleas's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Apr 16 #477154 by afonleas
Reply from afonleas
Well I really don''t know if this is a windup or not:dry:,but it has certainly made me smile.

As I have said numerous times wiki is a great source of comfort and information...

Dave in Dublin,you have certainly brightened up my day:laugh:

Afon x

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11