A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

New member - Joint Bank Account debt!

  • taken4aride
  • taken4aride's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
25 Feb 08 #15031 by taken4aride
Topic started by taken4aride
Hi everyone - just found this site and very impressed by it.

I'm going through a very stressful divorce. Only married 6 months when marriage was over - unreasonable behaviour. Ex got out £60,000 secured loan then withdrew money from account and paid off debts I didn't know about. We have a house in joint names and this puts it in negative equity!

He refuses to sign mortgage papers, he forged my signature to get the loan (but got his friends to act as witnesses)and run up debts on the joint bank account and the bank are now after me for the money! Don't know what I can do about this?

In the meantime, I've just heard he is buying a flat with his girlfriend. I've spent a couple of grand with solicitors so far but have got absolutely nowhere. :(

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Feb 08 #15037 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
Hi and welcome
I have alot of experience through courts aknowledgement and opinion on debt
If you can prove how debt was accrewed that will suffice for judge to decide direction
As for forging your signature that is FRAud an imprisonable offence
As I have also been victim of the same but I cant prove it
Its so unfair but stick on here as a lot of people on here with expert advice and links

  • Exasperated
  • Exasperated's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Feb 08 #15096 by Exasperated
Reply from Exasperated
Too late now but the first thing was to get your own bank acocunt. If it is in joint names then why are they after you and not him?
Forgery is an offence as is the act of the witnesses to this, interesting if it came to court. Why not talk to your lender and bank and see what they have to say about it all ! Do it now and stir things up as this may put the stoppers on him borrowing money for this new flat if there is aquestion mark hanhing over him. Try a different solicitor?
Good Luck and I know what you mean ... 2 grand wasted with solicitors, feel exactly the same!

  • taken4aride
  • taken4aride's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Mar 08 #16026 by taken4aride
Reply from taken4aride
thank you for your replies to date - it seems there are others with similar problems but its reassuring to here of your experiences - thank-you:)

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
06 Mar 08 #16035 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Hello again

If i were you i would contact the police £60,000 he must be mad they can have experts view the paper work and show that its not your signature therfore not your debt and a HUGE problem for x2b.

If your feeling kind you could tell him and his mates your about to do it, you never know they may buckle, me well it would be police first he deserves it.

May well be worth contacting the loan company and tell them you did not sighn they may well take action of thier own.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.