A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • AngelM
  • AngelM's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 Mar 08 #16312 by AngelM
Topic started by AngelM

  • harrietbaby
  • harrietbaby's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Mar 08 #16337 by harrietbaby
Reply from harrietbaby
Hi Mel, I cauaght part your story on chat last night but you were in full flow and i missed the begining. What a situation you find yourself in no wonder you dont know which way to turn. Your final statement though 'I want to do what is right and least damaging for my daughter' says it all, your daughter needs to stay near her dad. Its is hard enough when parents break up but changing her school, family and environment may not be what she needs right now, she needs to know here mummy and daddy will always be there for her and love her above everything else. Your new relationship if solid will survive whatever life throws at it or it may be right guy but wrong time, only you know that. You are faced with a dificult decesion but there are lots of people on here who can support you, talk soon.Harrietbaby

  • BVG
  • BVG's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
10 Mar 08 #16339 by BVG
Reply from BVG
Hi MelB, what a terrible dilema you find your self in. Your heart is telling you one thing and your head another. To my way of thinking, I would wait the two years and get to know your Dutch man better. One question I keep on asking myself is why he needs to stay in his native country and you to move. It is so easy these days to travel to the Nederlands. Spend some time with him by going over to see him, in School holiday time, that way your daughter can be involved.
If the relationship grows, at the end of two years+ you will be in a much better position to make a decision. Now fot the hard part, try to detach yourself from your emotional side and make a list of practical pro's and cons. This should also show the way forward. For instance what about the situation if you go to live in the Nederlands, not being able to speak the language, and your man decides to go back to his wife?. What are your rights in a foreign country in situations like this? What about your daughter/father visitation rights.

And last but not least keep the dialogue going with your husband, be open and honest, it really will make all the differnce when and if divorce proceeding start.

  • AngelM
  • AngelM's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Mar 08 #16549 by AngelM
Reply from AngelM

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Mar 08 #16560 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Hello melB

Slould i go or stay the discussion may well be hypothetical as your H will no dowt issue prohibited steps order proventing your daughter form leaveing the country sorry.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.