A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Moving on

  • Rosalie
  • Rosalie's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Mar 08 #16342 by Rosalie
Topic started by Rosalie
What a great site this is, and nice to know that you are not alone. My husband left nearly three years ago after 27 years, to live with another woman. I got the Decree Nisi last June but he wont agree any financial proposals sent to him by my solicitor. He is paying bills and the mortgage and I pay for everything else. I am in that usual situation with the joint bank account, therefore joint debts. I have a solicitor but he refuses to use one, so I am paying the solicitors fees. We are now corresponding via email so hoping to come to some sort of agreement between ourselves.
It seems so strange that I suddenly became unimportant to him after so many years of bringing up his children and standing by him and being loyal. The good news is that I dont miss him any more and am finally ready to move on as a single lady, and enjoy myself.

  • BVG
  • BVG's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
10 Mar 08 #16350 by BVG
Reply from BVG
Hi Rosalie
Your right on both counts, this site is excellent and you will have plenty of friends.

Looks like your X wants to remain status quo and no amount of corresponding will solve this drawn out situation. If you really wanting to move on then you must force the issue. One way to do this is via ancillary relief procedure via the courts. This will definetly focus your husband on your needs to move on and live the rest of your life. After such a long marriage it shuld be a 50/50 split. See the resources guide on AR.

I hope this helps a little

  • Rosalie
  • Rosalie's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
17 Mar 08 #16998 by Rosalie
Reply from Rosalie
Thanks BVG
Yes, you are right, he does seems to want to keep things as they are, but I dont feel I can move on until we get the Decree Absolute. It is tempting to go to court but I hear that the cost is very high, so hoping to avoid that. The main worry is the bank loans which will be taken from the pot, so the sooner we sort this out the better. It is so frustrating!

  • kidsinbulgaria
  • kidsinbulgaria's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
17 Mar 08 #17008 by kidsinbulgaria
Reply from kidsinbulgaria
Hi Rosalie,

It's a shame that you are mentally ready but he will not physically let you move on with your life.

Are you looking to stay in that house ? or moving on ?

If you need to downsize for example, read this link:-

Also, a Decree Absolute can be pronounced before finances are agreed but a Decree Absolute has important financial consequences, e.g. the loss of widow(er)’s pension rights and it may therefore not be advisable to apply for a Decree Absolute until financial matters are concluded.

Assuming that you went for a two year separation and you have now been apart for three years.

Have you considered this? or had legal advice on it ?

  • Rosalie
  • Rosalie's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Apr 08 #18672 by Rosalie
Reply from Rosalie
Thank you so much for the info. I filed for divorce for his adultery and got nisi, then things drew to a halt. We have a heavy mortgage to pay off, which is the main worry, as I may not end up with enough to buy another suitable property. My solicitor is great and being tough on my behalf. So I am staying put in the marital home for the moment and hoping for the best!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.