A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • Bluenote
  • Bluenote's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 Mar 08 #16370 by Bluenote
Topic started by Bluenote
Hello, just found this site.
My situation is as follows.
Been separated for just over 2 years, signed a Separation Agreement, was hoping that could be used as the financial settlement.
Everything so far has been amicable she got the house and a wodge of cash. The kids are grown up and away.
There was no one else involved, I walked out.

Should I petition using 2 year separation or let her use desertion as grounds?

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Mar 08 #16378 by mike62
Reply from mike62
Welcome to wikivorce.

Desertion is very rarely used as grounds. 2 year separation by mutual consent is the way to go.

The separation agreement, depending on it's content, could be the basis for a Consent Order.

Both of you need to draw it up and take legal advice, then have it rubber stamped by the court. If you don't both take advice is could be used at a potential get out in the future. I take it you are looking for a Clean Break.

Might be worth using a mediator to assist in drafting the consent order.

Best of luck,

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.