A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Hello and abit of advice please

  • Needsomefreedom
  • Needsomefreedom's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Apr 12 #326363 by Needsomefreedom
Topic started by Needsomefreedom
Hi, I am in the process of separating from my husband with who I have two children. I want to be the principal career for the children but have no issue with him seeing them whenever he wants. Due to his working hours I have suggested that he has them on his days off and basically any other times he has free. I have no intention of coming between him and the children as he is a good father and they love him dearly. To my face he agrees with all this but I have recently found out that he is secretly planning to go for custody. Can anyone advise me a to where I stand with this? What are his chances? I am really worried.

  • Lostboy67
  • Lostboy67's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
24 Apr 12 #326372 by Lostboy67
Reply from Lostboy67
Welcome to wiki, sorry you find yourself here.
When you say he is secretly going for custody, I assume by that he is planing to be deemed the PWC (Parent With Care), which is what you are also seeking to do.
The fact that you both want to be the PWC and you acknowledge that he is a good father is a positive thing. The thing with being PWC is that this is where the tax credits and child benfit go. I don''t know enough about your respective work patterns etc but would it be possible to have a shared care arrangement where the children''s care is divided equally, needless to say the running costs of the children would also need to be divided equally. This situation can work but only if both parents are committed to making it work for the children''s benefit.
I would suggest that you have an open and honesst discussion with him regarding what the care arrangments will be, on going for the children.
Dispite what anyone may say the ''system'' is generally tilted towards mothers.
Try not to think about this as a battle over who ''gets the kids'' but more of a constructive discussion about what is in the children''s best interests.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.