A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • downland
  • downland's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
02 May 12 #328055 by downland
Topic started by downland
18 months in, Nisi done, no agreement on finances (nearly x wont even agree to valuation so we know what we might end up with nor agree to put property on market) and still rattling round in same house (he enters a room - i leave),redundancy looming and do you know what, this is still the best time in my recent years as i have a future to look forward to for myself and family. Didnt feel like there was one before and now, in time, there will be.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 May 12 #328097 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
As long as you do nothing, there is no incentive whatever for him to do anything about it or to find other accommodation. As matters stand, he has a right to live there and unless you do something to force the issue, that will be the situation for ever and ever amen.
So I assume you made a financial claim against him.
You mention family, which implies dependent children. If so, there is a strong possibility that you would not have to sell at all until the children grow up.
So have you explored your housing options ? Are you legally represented ?

  • downland
  • downland's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
03 May 12 #328207 by downland
Reply from downland
Thank you for your comments, there are a number of options to follow up on as property is more than adequate (so i am advised) to provide for both of us. To explore the options in detail i need to get what i believe is a ''point of sale'' valuation on the property, in a number of configurations, to see what capital could be raised. He is demanding that finances be sorted but refusing to allow valuation to take place (to extent that part of property is locked off and inaccesible). He is currently refusing to respond to any correspondence through solicitors. No doubt court will be final option ........ I just felt that there is so much angst on this site that my expressing my feeling of optimism, despite my current awkward situation, might lift someone, somewhere ....

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.