A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Free advice please!

  • Azalea
  • Azalea's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 May 12 #332004 by Azalea
Topic started by Azalea
Following my recent £2000 solicitor''s bill (and that was before I submitted my Petition to court) I''ve decided to take a step back from seeking her advice at every step of the way and thought I''d give this a try.

My stbx''s solicitor sent his petition to my solicitor about a month ago. I was advised that his statement of case for UB is very woolly and I know that the only reason he''s filing for divorce is so that he can drag the process out "to make me suffer as I have made him suffer". Of course I didn''t intend for him to suffer; I simply do not love him anymore and want to end the marriage.

I moved out of the family home two months ago with my children. They are all of an age where they can decide whether or not to see their father and are not visiting particularly often. This is obviously being construed as me "poisoning them" against their father when in truth it''s his behaviour that''s putting them off.

I considered my options and this week filed my own petition at court, emailing his solicitor the day after the event. Two days later, I received an email from them saying that he too has filed for divorce.

Will his petition be seen as a cross petition as it was filed after mine? I don''t think they will have used the same court as his solicitors are miles away. If it is a cross-petition, what happens then?

Hope someone can help!

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 May 12 #332051 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
In a situation such as this one set of proceedings is usually dismissed and the remaining Petition is then allowed to proceed. The cost of divorce proceedings will increase at a phenomenal rate unless there is some co-operation or capitulation.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.