A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Struggling and need advice

  • Morty1007
  • Morty1007's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
30 Jun 12 #340074 by Morty1007
Topic started by Morty1007

My husband and seperated almost 2 years ago after 2.5 years of marriage. Now at this point I should probably say he suffers from anxiety and stress but it was he that instigated the seperation. For the first year neither of us did anything as I think I was trying to come to terms with it all. However after a year I met someone else and decided that I really should get the ball rolling (we were still on okish speaking terms at this point). I instigated a seperation agreement and it has gone from worse to worse from this point solicitors have written back and forth and we don''t even have a fortune to discuss their are joint debts that he has not paid a penny to for the last year and hasn''t contributed to the mortgage payments at all. The property is in negative equity and in our last communication I said I would absorb the negative equity and what he owes me to just sign over the property. In his last letter he said that he would accept £3000 for this!

We have now got to the point where his solicitor is not responding to letters as I did not agree to this. My solicitor is now saying I am left with no other option apart from taking him to court as they won''t respond! I have thought about negotiating on the amount but as they haven''t responded I can''t.

Is there any advice anyone can give me as court is very expensive and I am keen to resolve this asap, but feel very hard done by for want of a better description to pay someone who hurt me and treated me very badly in the end.

Thanks for any advice.

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
30 Jun 12 #340132 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Welcome to Wikivorce.

It seems pointless spending a fortune on a lengthy court process just to determine who gains what split of the debts!

Is his solicitor still acting on your x2b''s behalf? Are they still in business? it might be worthwhile trying to ascertain this before heading to the courthouse.

mediation and collaborative law are other alternatives to resolving the issue of finances.

If all that is being argued about is £3k, be certain that you will spend more than that in legal fees if it goes to court :s

  • Morty1007
  • Morty1007's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Jul 12 #341145 by Morty1007
Reply from Morty1007
I am trying to resolve this as I don''t want to go to court we are trying to ascertain if my ex is still being represented by the firm we have been contacting but have had no response. It''s incredibly frustrating seeing as he wanted to end the marriage and seems to have now decided to ignore everything!

And I appreciate £3k isn''t alot when you are reading other posts on this forum but it''s alot when you don''t have it and have been paying for all the joint debts on your own too. But i''m determined to find the money to get rid of the millstone round my neck. :)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.