A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

My Divorce-The sale of my home

  • Aundre Breeman
  • Aundre Breeman's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Jul 12 #341430 by Aundre Breeman
Topic started by Aundre Breeman
I am going through a divorce. My husband purchased a home. We moved in and 5 weeks later threw a 5 pound radio at me hitting me in the head. I now have a restraining order against him. He filed for divorce. We had a Prenuptial Agreement that said he would pay 50% of ALL home expenses.Since moving into this house HE has not paid one penny of mortgage or maintenance on this house. I estimate he now owes me $40,000.00+, as this has been going on for two years. The house was also purchased "AS-IS" and he forged my signature on the loan paperwork. I like the house and do not want to move. A judge said the house was to be sold on the market as a standard sale. Both he and I paying half the shortage. A second judge, now, has said that she does not think that to be legal, and as I am able, I should pay the full amount of loss which is $80K+. I have been making the mortgage and utility/upkeep payments all by myself, and to pay this shortage it would bankrupt me. The other option is to sell short sale which would ruin my credit again. How can I get him off the mortgage and keep the home (a) without ruining my credit and (b) making him pay his fair amount. I do not know why the 2nd judge expects me to pay it all, and my husband to get a free pass. Like I said we had a prenuptial. It states that we split all payments on the house 50/50. The judges are completely ignoring this. I would like to assume the mortgage, but he will not let go. Can you please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with any recomendations. Thank you

  • Now Gone From Wiki
  • Now Gone From Wiki's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Jul 12 #341663 by Now Gone From Wiki
Reply from Now Gone From Wiki
Hi AB. As your in the US I can''t offer any comment as I don''t know what the differences in the law are but from the UK I would like to say that I hope you find some help soon.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.