A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Moving forward with help

  • Elizabeth123
  • Elizabeth123's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
09 Jul 12 #342159 by Elizabeth123
Topic started by Elizabeth123
Hi, allow me to explain my situation. Separated from husband for 6 months and know the only way to move forward is through divorce. My ex recently was medically discharged from armed forces and is at present receiving his pension plus medical pension. There is uncertainty over what compensation he received as he was not been forthcoming with this information.

Married for 18 years with 2 children during which time I devoted myself to family life and based my work and time around the family. Totally supportive through discharge from employment only to be thrown to the wolves and told marriage was over, leaving me no choice but to leave. Due to childrens schooling they chose to stay with their father, but due to age will be leaving in the next year or so either to attend university or begin employment. My job is part time as this fitted in with my family life but due to split has now become my only means of income.

Altbough ex left employment for medical reasons he is now exercising regularly but as yet has yet to find work. I believe this is a ploy (as well as influencing children to stay with him) to gain sympathy and the upper hand when divorce proceedings start.

Although only a brief description, what are my rights? What am I entitled to? I gave up my career in the armed forces to care for children and now have nothing. How can I also protect myself from his threat that he is prepared for things to turn nasty.

In desperate need of counsel, I have been left with little options and although in contact with my children have been left isolated from them.

If anyone has experience or knowledge when dealing with the armed forces pension entitlement in divorce or has been through a similar story I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Many thanks in advance.

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
10 Jul 12 #342297 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Welcome to Wikivorce, although I''m sorry you have a need to be here.

So that our members can give you more considered opinion on what you may be entitled to you, it would be very helpful if your could answer the following questions:

Your respective ages;

The number of children you have and their ages;

How many nights the children spend with each parent;

The length of your marriage and any period of pre marriage cohabitation;

Your respective incomes;

Your respective outgoings;

Your assets - both soley held and joint;

Your liabilities.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11