A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Kinda hit a brick wall....where next??

  • sarahseventyfive
  • sarahseventyfive's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Aug 12 #349450 by sarahseventyfive
Topic started by sarahseventyfive
Im sarah, I recently advised my husband of 12 years ( together 21yrs) that Ive had enough and want to seperate. He wasnt surprised and generally seems quite happy that we are starting seperate lives. We have a 9 year old, whom we want to have 50% custody of each, which is great. And everything is very amicable and non malicious ( at the moment). My query is this.... The house in which we live is owned by me. My name is on the mortgage and deeds and I have paid for it for the last however many years. He has not contributed to the mortgage. He is now asking me for £100k to buy a flat for himself. He does not intend paying maintenence or provide finance for the ongoing mortgage. Can someone advise me, if this is normal? Should I expect to pay this amount? (btw, he cannot get a mortgage on his own and Im aware that i need to provide a place for my son, when he is with his dad.) Any advise would be appreciated.. as I seem to have hit a wall!
thanks sarah xx

  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Aug 12 #349483 by Action
Reply from Action
It depends what proportion of the equity of the house £100,000 is and lots of other factors such as future earning potential, pensions, savings and investments etc.

I don''t think it makes any difference that it''s just your name on the mortgage and that you''ve paid the mortgage - it''s all part of the ''marital pot''. Presumably he has contributed to the marriage in other ways?

Splits are usually calculated on a needs basis. So if one party can''t raise a mortgage and the other can, then that will be taken into account.

I''m sure one of the financial wizards on here will be able to help more if you can post more detail (ages, salaries, co-habiting time before marriage, pensions, investments, health).

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.