A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Hi to everyone

  • bangi
  • bangi's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
25 Aug 12 #351887 by bangi
Topic started by bangi
Just got a letter from ex''s solicitors saying that the judge has ordered me to pay the divorce costs.

In the form D8the solicitors asked for the court "Shall be ordered to pay half the court fees of this application"

In the original letter letter from ex''s solicitor it says

"In regards to the costs my client would suggest that each party should pay their own costs in relation to the divorce suit however feels that court fees should be split and that court fees that will be incurred in this matter namely,£385 should be divided equally so that you each pay £192.50.

Now I am being told I should £800 instead of £192.50 can they get away with this?

  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Aug 12 #352286 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
what did you say on the acknowledgment of service?

Did the Petition itself refer to 50% of court fees?

Have tyou received the certificate of entitlement from the corut, to check what it actually says? If not, your first steo should be to contact the court to get a copy and clarify what it says.

If the Petion only asked for 50% of court fees and the order says all pf the costs, then this is most likely an error on the aprt of the curt; you can attend court for the Decree Nisi to contest the order (you will probably have to give written notice to the court and to your ex''s solicitors)

However, as a first step, it is worth phining or writing to the solicitor, reminding them of the original agreement and asking them to confirm that their letter to you is a mistake and that the sum they actually requier is £192.50.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11