A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Help - What to do next

  • avonredcat
  • avonredcat's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
07 Sep 12 #354502 by avonredcat
Topic started by avonredcat
Hi there... I need some advice, I have told my husband that I don''t want to be with him anymore and have started looking for rental properties to get out. We have a mortgage and lots of debts and have a child together. I need some money out of the house to enable me to go into rental property but he wont give me it and also keeps acting as though everything is normal in the hope that I will change my mind I think..

Has anyone else gone thru something like this ?

  • Marshy_
  • Marshy_'s Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Sep 12 #354613 by Marshy_
Reply from Marshy_
avonredcat wrote:

Has anyone else gone thru something like this ?

I doubt that you will get a lot of answers. As there are no easy answers. Usually, there is only so much money to go round. And you cant just take money out of the house. Its a fixed asset. Not easy to cash in. So I think, if you want money to start again, you will have to find it elsewhere.

If you did decide on divorce, it would take quite a while before anything can be settled in the way of finances.

Your husband probably doesnt know how to handle this situation. Thats why he is putting it to one side. I can understand how frustrating this can be. But you have to be cool and you have to sit down and talk to him. Getting divorced is a huge step. And you ought to be very sure in what you are doing. What you are thinking of entering into means that you are taking apart something that was never meant to be taken apart. But of course you have your reasons.

There are ways to go about this if you want to persue it. And you need to go about this with care. A good idea is to investigate if this really is the end. You could do that by talking. You could also ask yr husband to go to relate with you. And they will help you investigate if its over and if it is, then manage that separation.

Just up and leaving is a bad thing todo. It may very well help you. But what you will leave behind will be a scene from an earthquake. Its much better to have it thought out and talked thru and that everyone concerned understands whats happening and there is less damage that way.

Lastly, I cant press strongly enough how big a thing divorce is. You have to be really sure its what you want. Otherwise, fix it. Dont just bin it. C.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.