A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Would a court make me homeless?

  • whiskey20b
  • whiskey20b's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
01 Oct 12 #358692 by whiskey20b
Topic started by whiskey20b
Hello. I have a long story as I''m sure everyone here has but I would appreciate quick replies to the following brief (ish) question!
Just starting divorce proceedings and I have recently been paying £400 maint (as per CMO calculator) and on top of that £370 towards secured lending on marital home while I stayed with my parents. I have now moved into a new place and cannot afford to pay both maint and the secured lending. My ex states that her solicitor has told her I will have to give up my rented accommodation in order to continue to pay for marital home and they will seek a court order.
I needed a place to live for me and mainly so I could have our 3 kids overnight and ideally I want 50/50 shared custody.
Can I be made basically homeless to pay for marital home?

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
01 Oct 12 #358696 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
No of course a court wont make you homelss.

Post more details about income and outgoings and someone will post an opinion on whether or not spousal maintenance is likely to be payable.

Solicitor can say whatever only a court can make an order.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.