A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


To go...or not to go?

  • teecher
  • teecher's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Apr 12 #323784 by teecher
Topic started by teecher
When everything hit the fan I was determined to hold my head high and not be driven away from the area.
Absolute was in November 2011- for the last 3 years I have juggled part-time/full-time work with looking after youngest daughter as a single parent(as you do!)
Ex and OW soon left area and my other kids also have left home.
My youngest daughter still has 18 months at Primary school to complete- but work in the area is scarce and I am struggling financially. I can''t do daily supply as it means that all housing help etc stops as their system can''t cope with erratic earnings and I am left with zero.:blush:
Ex sees youngest v occasionally and she''s fine with that.
Have just returned from another area where one of my older kids lives and I am wondering whether I should bite the bullet and move there. I have talked with teaching agencies and they said they have regular work (but hmmm how regular is that?)
Also its taken lots of time and patience to get my youngest daughter happy and settled- we have talked about moving away but am I being selfish here?:unsure:
I have made some good friends in this area since D-day and I know I could make friends again- I just can''t make my mind up as to what to do for the best for my daughter and myself.
I have really struggled to get work from the beginning of the year, and I am obviously still applying for jobs locally.
Also I have a close male friend and I would hate to hurt him by moving,
AAAAGGGHH! What should I do? Feel like a complete wuss!:S

  • WhiteRose
  • WhiteRose's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
14 Apr 12 #323788 by WhiteRose
Reply from WhiteRose
Hugs Teecher,

These things can''t be decided quickly.

As you say there are many factors to juggle - is it something you need to decide right now? Can you give it a Summer to float with?

I know you''re a teacher, but with positions scarce, as you describe, is there any other work you can do temporarily to keep yourself financed while you make a decision?

Nothing is guaranteed with jobs and my fear for you may be that you make a move relying on work in this other area only for it to run out there too.

In the end, its you who''s living your life and only you knows what to do for the best :unsure:

WR x

  • Mitchum
  • Mitchum's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
14 Apr 12 #323794 by Mitchum
Reply from Mitchum
Hi teecher,
I''m sorry things are so difficult for you financially but looking at it from your daughter''s point of view would it be best left till she enters secondary school? Uprooting her earlier means leaving her friends and establishing new friendships going into Yr 6 and with KS2 Sats to cope with next year.

Then at the end of that year she would transfer to secondary school with more change. (Depending on whether you have middle schools in your area of course).

On the other hand a move to an area with more schools mean more chance of supply jobs. However, I understand that many schools now are not employing supply teachers but are using higher level teaching assistants to cover absences. Check with the agencies before making any decisions. Would it be an idea to move close to somewhere where county boundaries meet giving you access to schools in more than one borough?

I don''t envy you having to make these decisions but I hope it works out for you and things start to improve for you very soon. xx

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Apr 12 #323807 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
Could you commit to a more permanent contract or do you ''''do supply'''' because of childcare commitments?

As to the impact on your daughter its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

If she moves now she will have a whole year to make friend who she would move into secondary school with

or

If you wait until she starts secondary school she probably wont be the only new girl in the class.

Its a real shame that teaching has become such an insecure profession.

  • Gloriasurvive
  • Gloriasurvive's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Apr 12 #323814 by Gloriasurvive
Reply from Gloriasurvive
Gosh big decisions what if you get your pen out!
List the pros and cons.
If you do move - us wikis are coming too!:P
Moving, they say, is a huge upheaval, can you cope with that at this stage? Could be your new beginning?
I know from your past posts you have been struggling with teaching opportunities so if you need to move because of work you may have to.
We all need some financial security.
Only suggestion?
Have you considered child-minding? I know in my area very lucrative.
Would mean you could still work with children and I bet your teaching qualification would be huge selling point!
The other major and main consideration is, as you said, your daughter - have you asked her what she thinks of moving?
If you are going to move I agree too, go before your daughter starts senior school. If you go sooner she can make friends at new primary and has only 1 teacher who can help her settle. A fair point to think about SAT''s, imo they are not important at primary level, they are only Gov number crunching. Some schools opt out of them anyway. But you may feel they are important? Horses for courses :)
To know no-one, walking into a huge comprehensive would terrify me, but I''m a wimp! You know what yours daughter will cope with.
At the end of the day we can only put our view to you - the decision is down to you and your daughter. It is an option worth thinking about.
Big hugs GS

  • teecher
  • teecher's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Apr 12 #323868 by teecher
Reply from teecher
Thanks for all the replies. I have been applying for permanent contracts in this area but nothing yet- another problem with supply is that I have to drop my daughter off at friends at 7.15 am and there''s a limit to the number of times you can ring even a good friend at 7am!
Also I live in a very remote location and even if I do drop her off early, I barely make it into school by the skin of my teeth- and that doesn''t go down well:dry:
I have considered child-minding (have done it in the past)but it''s not what I really want to do.
Quite honestly, a fresh start appeals but being a scaredy cat I''m afraid of making the wrong decision.:(
Having flu at the moment doesn''t help!

  • Mitchum
  • Mitchum's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
15 Apr 12 #323881 by Mitchum
Reply from Mitchum
Right, well tackle the ''flu first and the world tomorrow. You can''t think straight whilst feeling rough.

You have lots of logistical problems for getting to work so perhaps something homebased for a while to get some money in the bank? That way you buy thinking time.

What do you think of before and after school care for children rather than have babies and toddlers all day. Is that a possibility? Even picking children up and helping with homework etc before parents get home from work. You''re ideally qualified for that. Would there be some takers for such a service? It may even lead to some holiday work as parents may need help when they can''t have the same holidays.

Just a thought. Hope you''re feeling a bit better soon. xx

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11