A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Parenting.....a common goal or silly game for one?

  • atlastfree
  • atlastfree's Avatar Posted by
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
29 Apr 12 #327303 by atlastfree
Topic started by atlastfree
I have made a parenting comment on a previous post but i thought i would keep it seperate from that post and comment specifically about it here.

I understand that we all have very different parenting skills and styles and that no one way can be the 100% correct way for all.
I have a very traditional parenting style and I think that it has it''s benefits in some ways but definately not in other ways.
Whilst in my marriage my ex and I had quite a few disagreements over how we parent our children. Now we are divorced the parenting divide is even greater and whilst i am sure my ex would disagree i am very much of the view that the situation is even worse because of the favour one parent offers the children in return for what i can only imagine is some sense of trying to win them over or appear the better parent.

My partner has the same issue with her ex. homework is never done, the children are fed rubbish all weekend, they come home smelling, you wouldnt believe that they even need reminding how to eat properly after they have spent time away from home (apparently it''s fun to open your mouth and show it full of food to others at the dinner table and eating with you mouth wide open is apparently how you are supposed to eat!).

So ok some will say doing that at the dinner table may well be acceptable and fun but whilst i know and totally accept that parenting styles and skills are different, why is it that i feel that one parent provides the proper stable and sensible parenting to include sensible social skills and the other parent is the one who does the easy things which take little or no effort.

We are not born parents and we have to learn it but why cant we all learn and want to do whats best for the children based on a minimum but common and sensible standard and not silly game playing to prove a point which has no benefit at all to the children.

I know that may open the question as to what is minimum common and sensible but i think you will take my point.

  • Canuck425
  • Canuck425's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Apr 12 #327310 by Canuck425
Reply from Canuck425
I think you have to start with the question of whether both parents truly want what is best for the kids. If yes, then that is a great common ground to begin with. Styles are going to vary and as long as you know and trust that your ex is doing what he thinks is best and thinking of the children and their welfare then I would let it go.

I get comments from my stbx all the time that I am trying to be competitive or that I undermine her. I am always stunned by these comments. I am just trying to do my best. I am a good father and care very much for these children of ours. Sometimes, I think, that she is projecting her issues onto me. That she is competitive. But really I do not know.

Splitting apart really stinks. But the kids need both parents in their lives in a predictable and consistent manner. So, I hope you can do your best to trust your ex and know that when the kids are with him they are loved and cared for.

I guess it would be easier if your ex would simply disappear. But that would not be best for the kids. I hope he steps up and performs as a father who is present and very involved in the children''s lives. That''s what they need. It might not make it easy for you but too bad. Hopefully, with time and effort, you two can co-parent together. Your kids will benefit.

  • atlastfree
  • atlastfree's Avatar Posted by
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
29 Apr 12 #327314 by atlastfree
Reply from atlastfree
The situation relates to my partner and her ex and neither of us want the ex to disappear. We both think that it is very important that the children have a very healty relationship with him.
I also take your point about parenting and in particular noticed the comment about comments by the soon to be ex.
We agree that how the other half parents is very different but it doesnt make it wholly wrong. It''s just the simple stuff like homework so that they dont come home and worry about school the next day having not done it at dads. And bath''s, that just simple stuff thats so easy to get right.

Thanks for the reply, interesting perspective from the other side.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.