A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Are you/will you/have you changed your name back?

  • jslgb
  • jslgb's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jun 12 #335392 by jslgb
Topic started by jslgb
Just thought i''d ask everyones opinions on changing names back to maiden names!

My ex always wanted his first wife to change her name back and it irritated him that she didnt. I''ve already told him i wont be changing mine as its the same as my daughters.

Does it irritate anyone else if your ex keeps your name? Is it common to revert to your Maiden Name?

  • Furball
  • Furball's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
06 Jun 12 #335393 by Furball
Reply from Furball
I am keeping my married name, it is the name of my daughter and I am old fashioned. I did nothing wrong so I don''t see why I should have the stigma of having a different name from my child.

Terribly old fashioned I know.

  • Mrs positive
  • Mrs positive's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Jun 12 #335405 by Mrs positive
Reply from Mrs positive
I want to change my name back to my maiden name but my daughter feels uncomfortable with it! What do you do.?

  • happydays67
  • happydays67's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
06 Jun 12 #335424 by happydays67
Reply from happydays67
I have recently changed back to maiden name but that is over two years down the line from separation. I had considered changing it right at the start but one of kids wanted to change theirs too so decided against it. Now they have got used to situation they are not bothered.

I changed it because anytime I had to tell someone my name it just didnt seem right as I didnt feel that I was that person anymore. I suppose it just depends what suits each persons own circumstances.

  • redwine47
  • redwine47's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jun 12 #335437 by redwine47
Reply from redwine47
I m not divorced yet but I really want to revert to my maiden name..asap.... my surname reminds me of him. (not gd)...

Like happy days said also... I don''t feel like that person any more. I am back to being me or getting there hopefully.

Problem is wen I. Asked children how they wld feel bout me changing one then also wanted to change, other doesnt...... Wasn''t xpecting them to change.

Got to think about children first.... But I m hoping in time they won''t mind! Cause I''ve got to do it. It''s not my name

  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jun 12 #335439 by Action
Reply from Action
I''m going to stick to my married name because I''ve had that name for nearly 33 years and the maiden name only 22 years. It would be confusing professionally and I don''t want to have a different name to my children.

And if he says he wants me to change it, he can go hang himself.

  • jslgb
  • jslgb's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jun 12 #335443 by jslgb
Reply from jslgb
I''d never really thought of it like that.

I''m a trainee teacher so it can be difficult to hear when the children call me by my surname in class! Especially just after my stbxh left!

I wont be changing my name though as like i said its my daughters name. We didnt marry till our daughter was 3 so i had plenty of experience of people asking me what relation i was and looking down their noses at me! Plus, my maiden name is really long and hard to spell, my married name is not! My daughters only 5 and i cant change her name without her dads permission anyway so now i associate my name with her and not him!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.