A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • fluffy76
  • fluffy76's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Jul 12 #342717 by fluffy76
Topic started by fluffy76
I got divorced in 2010. 40/60 Mesher to me. Ex h said he had debts of 50k and my barrister believed him although no proof. 27k for for his personal injury lawyer.

Barrister and solicitor warned me to keep an eye on credit file etc. they said if the debt was enforced, we would be homeless within a year. Ex h regularly diverted letters from here so was def up to something.
Ex h has now bought a new house.
so, now that he has another asset...
Can I put a note on my credit file to ask any debtor to take debts from his new property?

Please advise.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Jul 12 #342801 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
I am not sure about the credit file ... although I would hope you could divert interest in his debts away from you.

However I am somewhat surprised that he has been able to purchase a property if his debts are as large as you say. Is this a question on non disclosure of assets? Or has he come into an unexpected windfall?


  • fluffy76
  • fluffy76's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Jul 12 #342816 by fluffy76
Reply from fluffy76
Based on the child maintenance he is paying, his earnings have increased from 25k to 60k.

He has just bought a 20k car. He gave me the receipt ''by mistake'' with the children''s things.

He just said at FH that he had a lot of debt, 27k to personal injury lawyer and 25k general post separation debt. No evidence provided. Barrister chose not to probe further as he thought it would compromise Mesher order.

The only other possibility is hat he has had his compensation payout or that the litigation on Turkish property has been realised. I haven''t had my 50% yet though.

I just want to be protected from any of his debts.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.