A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

payments to ex wife after divorce

  • sarah197001
  • sarah197001's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Aug 12 #346928 by sarah197001
Topic started by sarah197001
Hi, Im 55 male (this is my friends account)i have been divorced for nearly 12 months, my question if anyone can help is, it was my wife who took me to court for a divorce and in doing so the court ordered me to pay for her court/solicitor fees of £1800. In court my ex wife wanted me to pay her a lump sum of £1000 from my endownment policy, the judge said no to this and we agreed a set amount each week was to be paid to my ex wife. This has now been paid off and I have been paying her regularly weekly payments to pay off her court fees as agreed but now she knows my endownment policy has matured she has gone back to a solicitor and they have written to me asking for the outstanding money to be paid ASAP in one lump sum. I have no house and my 2 children live with their mother so my endownment policy is my future and i wish to invest it the best way i can as im nearly at retirement age. Please can anyone help me to find out if she can do this? Thank you Fred

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Aug 12 #346934 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
It depends how long it will take for the instalments to pay the amount remaining. If it''s going to be a long time, they may well have a shout.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11