A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

police pensions and a divorce so near yet so far

  • sonearlythere
  • sonearlythere's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
31 Aug 12 #353125 by sonearlythere
Topic started by sonearlythere
Hi first post, hope I''m in the right area. Thought I was right at the end of the divorce process. 23 years married. Police officer husband left 10 years ago. I started divorce 5 years ago and got to Decree Nisi. Then let it lie. Restarted it recently. Got actuarial valuation but didn''t go ahead with it due to considerable bitterness on his part. Decided to go with lower CETV valuation. However, now he refuses to go ahead to Decree Absolute unless i agree to pension sharing order only to be implemented 3 months prior to his retirement next year at 60 or lump sum on his retirement. He says its to his considerable disadvantage to accept anything else and my solicitor has engineered things to his disadvantage. This simply isn''t true. Can anyone advise please, do I need specialist advice?:(

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
04 Sep 12 #353695 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Sorry no one answered this, it seems to have slipped by.

Yes indeed you do need some specialist advice for sure, when pensions are shared it tends to be one of two ways.

Pension sharing, a long way the most common, a chunk of his pension is lopped off and becomes yorus, you each have a pension.

Earmarking, not very common these days but this is what he is suggesting, for a number of reasons there can be problems, one is if you do accept a lump sum paid when he takes his lump he may not pay you this should not happen but it does, if it does and he spends the money you cannot enforce even the Consent Order.

You need to speak with a solicitor.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.