A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Claim share

  • Sp243
  • Sp243's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
07 Oct 12 #359686 by Sp243
Topic started by Sp243
I got divorced 2 years ago, but I never had a financial settlement (Consent Order) with my husband. After our divorce my husband sold the old house and bought another property. I have now found out that he has made and Will, which say that his son (from previous wedding) will be the owner of the house after his death.
He''s been critically ill, and doctors have told him that he only has 2months to live. I do not want to challenge his will while he''s alive, because I don''t want to cause any stress to him.
Would I be able to claim the share to the property when he dies?

We were married for 5 years, and we do not have any kids together.

  • sulkypants
  • sulkypants's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
10 Oct 12 #360214 by sulkypants
Reply from sulkypants
If you divorce without a consent order then you be you may be entitled to make a financial claim at any point in the future, even after many years have passed.

You did have a short marriage have you been received any kind of SM since the the Absolute?

  • Tirov
  • Tirov's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
13 Oct 12 #360834 by Tirov
Reply from Tirov
Go and see a Solicitor and get an application in for a financial settlement so that in the event he dies you have claim to his assets.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11